Sunday, September 30, 2007

Licence Licensed

A recent comment-conversation with Rebecca and post from Ming reminded me that I needed to do something about clarifying the status of the images I post to the internet.

I do not sell many of my images (I have a few on iStockphoto, a stock photography site, but the returns are too low to concern anyone) so wouldn't be losing any money if someone decided to 'appropriate' an image from this site for their own use, but at the same time I would hope that no-one did that without asking.

To make things clearer I have created a license for my images using Creative Commons.

Creative Commons License
The license means that anyone is free to share and use any of the images I post on this blog in a non-commercial manner, as long as they do not alter the images in any way and I am given credit, either via name or a link back to this site.

The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed that the images you see here are usually around 800 by 600 pixels in size, while the majority of my work is shot with a ten mega pixel camera. That means if you do copy an image from this site you are not getting the best version, by quite a long way.

I am happy to supply anyone with a full-sized version of any of my images if I am asked. As well as getting the best quality available, you will also be able to host the image wherever it suits you, rather than relying on me not changing my links randomly.

2 comments:

Livingsword said...

Hi Dave;

How you manage to make something like this interesting to read I don’t know, but you have the knack. Your writing contributes a lot to the flavor of your page and your images.

Thanks for your kindness in regards to being amenable in the way you implement your license.

By the way…on my blog Max refers to you as “David”…you go by Dave but are you really a David? Max has a way of knowing things…

Dave Licence said...

Heyup.
My given name is David, but I only really use it at work, and then only when talking to clients. Everyone else calls me Dave, even my parents now :-)