Saturday, February 21, 2009

Lake Nakuru - Zebras and Storks

I find myself in Pune, India's seventh largest city, having just missed a train to Mumbai, the world's fourth largest urban centre, due to a sleepy driver and a phone number mix-up.

What better time to start talking of my time in Kenya last year?

I was in Nairobi for a little under two weeks - which meant one full weekend free from work and free to do something touristy.

Saturday started the weekend well, with a trip to see UB40 (well Ali Campbell plus band) - good fun. Sunday was the day I was looking forward to though - a safari to Lake Nakuru National Park.

On entry to the park we immediately start seeing the animals we came for - beginning with a small group of zebra. We'd already seen a few zebras from the car on the journey to the park, but its great to see some close up in their natural habitat.




Next - on to the birds. In fact it is impossible not to see the birds at the lake - there are literally thousands of pelicans and flamingoes, which I'll come on to later. First, we have a couple of storks: a Marabou - big, rangy, ugly - and a Yellow-Billed - slim, smooth and colourful.

 

1 comment:

Livingsword said...

Hi Dave!

How terribly typical of India!

I would love to visit Kenya! I just have to convince Chocolate girl…

Great shots, it is different seeing animals in the wild…

Nice pose the zebra delivered up for you…

LOL We saw 3 Marabou in Feb at the Honolulu Zoo…everybody seems to call them ugly but I actually quite like them! LOL The Yellow-Bill is such a gracefully photogenic bird…