Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Creatures Of The Night

Having a new baby in the house has meant that I have recently become familiar with some hours of the night that I haven't been acquainted with for a while.

This also means that I have seen many of the creatures that roam the halls when the lights are normally dimmed - the most common of which are moths. They seem to find a way in no matter how tightly you draw the curtains or shutter the blinds, just to be near an energised light bulb.

Here are some photos of a couple of recent visitors. Unfortunately, there are nearly two and a half thousand species of moth in the UK alone, so I haven't been able to identify them. Any lepidopterists in the audience?

Nikon D200, AF-S 105mm Micro VR
1/100sec, f/5.6, ISO-220

 
Nikon D200, AF-S 105mm Micro VR, SB-600
1/250sec, f/22, ISO-200                        1/200sec, f/25, ISO-200

5 comments:

Livingsword said...

Hi Dave;

As my wife and I have been avid campers I can tell you all of these moths fall into the mini-mothra category. They are not of the monster mothras category encountered in the North Americian woods around camp fires or lanterns. They are best handled by a large eager dog, which is my wife’s suggestion (she quite liked the moth images but cringed when I just showed her the fly images and then she looked away).

As we are staying in a luxurious vacation home my wife encountered a gigantic spider! She managed to kill it but we are waiting for our 4 year old nephew to carry away the carcass.

We are unanimous in preferring the moth on the bottom left side.

Neil said...

I'm hoping for a post describing the less common creatures roaming your halls. Do you have a range of woodland creatures strolling through the house at night? Do the local dairy farmers send their cows in to keep warm>

Dave Licence said...

Haven't seen any cows, but the next post may feature a less common creature more commonly seen in woodlands.

Anonymous said...

I promise, sleep will return soon! I remember those all hours of the night times. Now, we get 12 hours at a stretch (YEEEEEESSS) Cool pics!

About watching your language around the baby...I give you about a year. Enjoy! He's precious!

threecollie said...

NIce moth photos...very clear.